Monday, May 22, 2006

Overdrive and Why...

So, I spent a good amount of time this weekend on the various projects and duties I have to do as Herald. I made more than a few lightsabers for people, and a few for another lightsaber construction tool expansion (duals will be getting added in soon, at the same rank as the double-bladed lightsabers were). Made a bunch of warbanners, too...including one that had been giving me a fair bit of trouble for a while.

And Yeah, the warbanner request form is still broken. If you positively, absolutely need something changed, give me a PM when I'm alive on IRC (generally after 5pm EST, when my nick isn't set to asleep, AFK, or whatever), and we'll see about sorting you out.

I've seen a lot more activity in lightsaber requests the last week or so. It's odd how these come in spurts like that. Anyway, I'm working on these. One of the new requests was by someone who just recently got a custom saber done by me. While that's not a big deal, I do tend to put these requests at low priority... it's only fair that people get a first helping before others get a second.

Having said that, I do have to say a few things about saber requests. Quite a few people don't give me much information other than colours and such. that's fine. When I'm working on a person's custom saber, I usually open their dossier, have a peek at their history, or their ACC matches, basically trying to get a feel for what the character's style is. A lot of people will tell you that this is the best way to do it... and in a lot of cases, it is. Some of the sabers that I am really proud of are ones that the person gave me a wide open slate to work with. But it might not be the best for your vision. If you have an idea of what your character would use, let me know... traditional, organic, industrial, utilitarian, whatever... use good descriptor words and it'll help me understand what's up.

Someone asked me about how much time i spend on making stuff for the DB the other day, well specifically about how much i spend on each saber. Well, it varies pretty wildly. Some designs take only an hour... and others take 4 or 5 hours. It depends on complexity, how different it is, how detailed it is (my sabers can get pretty detailed), all of that.

And the guy I was talking to was surprised... well mainly because he probably thought it was easier (a common belief of people who've not done a lot of GFX work outside of finding pics of stuff online and using photoshop to paste them into stuff), but that I am willing to throw that much of my time at the DB...for other people's enjoyment. Well, that's not all it is. I really enjoy this club. Its a creative outlet that i don't get at my job (while i do work as a designer, i generally work on very boring stuff... it's not like i get to design things for companies i care about, or for products i like...it just doesn't work out that way), and I like seeing people get jazzed about the my work...and more importantly, the DB. People getting excited about their character, about their clan, their club helps to ensure that the club's going to be around that much longer.

And that's all for today. I'm going to try to remember to keep posting here, although i forget sometimes when i get carried away in my work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home