Friday, April 14, 2006

Lightsaber Perks and a wee rant.

Well, for the past few weeks, I've been talking with Jac and my research team (who helped me with the construction of the Lightsaber Combat Guide) about a few new additions of possible styles for lightsabers...

A month or so back, I had announced that I had gotten approval for 'Multi-Phase Sabers' for those of the rank of Dark Jedi Master or higher. (A multi-phase saber is one that can shift from one color crystal to another, or has a fine-tuning knob involved in the chamber which enables the blade to have two or three 'pre-set' lengths)

I also am working on another perk... a specialized lightsaber crystal that does something very cool to the blade. I have it written up fictionally, but i'm still working on the actual graphic... So I don't want to say much more than that many people have asked about it... But, it will probably be another DJM+ perk.

"That's great, Muz but I'm just a low level equite... when are you going to make something cool for me?"

Well, I've heard that a few times. And I'll point out that upon entering the equite class (that's one promotion above knight, kids) you do get a few more lightsabers 'unlocked' for you through the lightsaber construction tool. So you do get something. (plus, with another promotion, you get to request a fully custom lightsaber)

And with the robes project getting closer to completion, there's going to be a heck of a lot of stuff for equites...but more on that later.

"Gah...why do the DJMs get all the cool perks?"

Well, two reasons. First and foremost, it's to get you guys to do more for the club so that you *want* to get promoted that high. The activity helps make this club grow. The other reason is because they earned their rank, and didn't have any 'saber perks' before (like how DAs get saber-staff, etc)

"Well, okay... about those robes, then..."

I think I'm going to install a crash-counter to show how often my computer crashes, trying to export these robes. Just the other night, I was working on a rebirth thing with Jac, and had twelve crashes in the space of three hours. I don't need to tell you, but that's rediculous.

I've been looking into reducing the size and complexity of the texture fills I've been using to minimize the strain on my poor computer, but i haven't found the happe middle ground between too basic and too complex yet. Once i manage to figure that out, I'll be a much much happier muz... and the Robes project will come at a lot faster rate.

"OMG, I could make these robes sooo much faster and better than u...."

Yeah, I've seen this a few times. And that's fine. I've given those people small tasks, to see how their skill and dedication stacks up. I could almost always use help on the graphics side. It's only Shin and I doing all this work, and we only can do so much.

But the sad thing is that most of those people are all mouth and no trousers. I've yet to see anything back from those people who want to run their mouth. And that's just too bad. The Robes project alone will require around 900 renders. And that's just one of the projects I have slated at the moment. It's a heck of a work-load, especially for a volunteer position.

And by the way: I am not a communist. I actually vote Libertarian most of the time.
But Kromtal and Famosus crossdress competitively. I have pictures. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home