Thursday, June 08, 2006

Ze Robez

I spent all of last night working on the robes. Yay robes!

Anyway, I decided that I was in one of those moods where everything I had done before was not as cool as what I had done so far... so I redid a bunch of them, made them look a helluva lot cooler (in my eyes, anyway), added shading and textures, and now i just gotta find the time to drop them on the correct background and upload them. (It's a lot more of a pain in the butt than it sounds, as the colors tend to distort if I do it any way except for one very complicated way)

One of the things I was concerned with was our ladies' robes. Before I started this project, there was no such thing. The robes we had for many years were quite unisex. As I was working on these, I found that they were a lot cooler if they 'fit' a body shape, making them far better looking...which, I thought, would alienate our ladies in the Brotherhood. So I made a ladies' version of the knight robes, and it looked cool...so I went and made a few more. After last night, I have robes based off of Jocasta Nu, Aayla Secura, Luminara Unduli, etc.

I also went and revamped quite a few of the male robes that were looking 'cartoonish' in my opinion. And I ended up reloading the GM and Elder robes on the site. Go take a look, if you like. The GM robes are based off of a Palaptine senatorial look, and the elders have a kit now that I bassed off of a jedi who surived order 66... I love that kit, and it's one of the drawings i have taken to tailors when I was looking to get robes made for DragonCon.

I can dork harder than any of you can possibly imagine.

Anyway, I realize that there's less women in this club by far, but I'm trying to make it a reasonable showing for both sexes at first. Right now, I have 17 kits, of which 2 are unisex, and 5 are female, with the remainder being male kits. I'll likely add more kits as time goes by to help bring this to a more equal standing...heck, I may even add more before I manage to release this, you never know when inspiration will hit.

While I'm discussing the girly robes, I'll say something about the lack of female characters in Star Wars... something I had noticed before, but it's been refreshed in my mind since I've been looking for 'canon' models to base the robes off of. Luminara Unduli, Shaak Ti, Asajj Ventress, and Barriss Offee all wear pretty much the same outfit: a tight fitting top, a full long-skirt and a cloak. The rest (Excluding Jocasta Nu and Aayla Secura) wear a version of the Knight robes (usually without an undertunic). It's pretty sad that there's so few ariants...although I suppose that the same could be said for the males in the movie. They all pretty much wear the same thing, with the different colours being the only differences. Thank heavens for the Comics... even though they tend to show the Jedi in either the common robes or in something totally 'not-robes', it still shows a bit of what sort of clothing Jedi would favor.

Anyway, so that's the robes report. I'll have stuff to look at in the next official report on the site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home